Second XV


Second XV
Coaching Staff
Match Reports

Our 2nd XV squad is another critical part of the club. The 2nds have been hugely influential in easing the transition of young players from Colts into senior rugby and being a second senior side competing at a good level. This season the 2nds will compete in the Inter-city 2nd XV league, arguably the most challenging 2nd XV league in the country.

A new coaching team will take the 2nds forward. This team will be headed by Craig Whitefield alongside Doug Roper with Andrew Mason handling the admin.

We welcome any new players to join our Senior squad and are determined to continue to grow and improve our 1st and 2nd XV in the coming years.

Backs Coach - Craig Whitefeild

Forwards Coach - Doug Roper

Team Manager - Andrew Mason

Season 2023/24

13th April 2024

GHA 2nds 41 Biggar 2nds 17

Biggar 2nds wound up their Inter-city league campaign with a defeat to Glasgow side GHA. This was another end of season match with a Biggar XV packed with youngsters. A decent performance from the Biggar lads against a more physical and robust squad.

Biggar were forced into a change before the start after Harrison Lang pulled up injured in the warm up. Andrew Lamb replaced him at 13.

GHA started well using their forwards with great effectiveness, carrying hard into the Biggar line and making ground slowly up the pitch. Having decided that Biggar’s defence was slowing their attack GHA chipped over the defence and rushed through to score a try which was also converted.

Biggar forced their way up the pitch and opted to kick a penalty for the corner. Having secured the line out, and after 1 phase they released the backs. Good hands got the ball to Andrew Lamb who ran in a try with ease, Finlay Crozier converted. GHA then used their pack with force again to get up into Biggar’s 22. The Biggar defence held for a while, but a mistake around the breakdown allowed GHA to pick and go through the middle for a second try but one not converted, with the ball hitting the post, and going wide.

Not long after Charlie Girdler was brought off for blood and Alexander Lyon replaced him. Just afterwards James Galloway was also receiving treatment for a cut to his head, Paul Davidson moving into the front row. Euan Laing was next, picking up an injury to his ankle and replaced by Gregor Lang.

GHA seemed to move up a gear, with their 10 controlling the game, and putting Biggar on the back foot before scoring 2 more converted tries to round off the half.

Biggar changed James Galloway for Paul Davidson, Craig Frame for Andrew Peacock, Stewart Neill for Kyle Frame and Euan Bogle for Isaac Cullen.

The second half saw GHA start strongly again and scoring a try which was unconverted. The GHA forwards were still carrying well and hard and making ground. Biggar defence was also working hard, with the likes of Rory Hill, Alexander Lyon and Ross Jackson all tackling hard.

James Galloway, having played nearly a full half of rugby, was replaced by Paul Davidson. Charlie Girdler returned to the game, replacing Louis Calvin.

GHA again scored a try but again this was unconverted. Biggar then forced their way up the pitch showing both grit and determination to get into GHAs 22. With the forwards working well Charlie Girdler crossed the line for a try which was unconverted.

Alasdair Sinclair picked up an ankle injury and was replaced by Isaac Cullen. GHA scored again and the kick was taken by their No8 who was playing his last game, but he was unsuccessful.

Biggar forced their way up the pitch as GHA started to tire. A backs move resulted in Euan Bogle breaking though and scoring, and following the precedent set by GHA, Andrew Peacock stepped up to take the conversion, as he was also playing his last game for Biggar, but sadly he failed to gain the extra points.

Final Score Biggar 17 GHA 41

Man of Match; Andrew Peacock

23rd March 2024

Biggar 2nd XV 28 Musselburgh 2nd XV 55

At Pinkie Playing Fields Musselburgh

Biggar fielded 21 players Musselburgh fielded 22 players.

1st half Biggar started slowly struggling to cope with the size of the Musselburgh forwards but managed to settle into the game. Musselburgh looked to carry, using their pack to make ground, through the centre of the pitch, with applied pressure in field, created an opportunity wide and Musselburgh scored in the corner, try given, but failed to convert the points. Biggar again absorbed pressure with some strong defence, slowing Musselburgh advance, for a time Musselburgh again moved up the pitch, and were rewarded with a scrum around the 22, with a training ground move from the base allowed them to score under the posts, try was converted. Biggar attacked and stringing together some good attacking rugby with forward and backs combining well created space out wide for Lewis Reid to score in the corner, try but was not converted. Musselburgh struck back with a strong run from their centre and managed to score out wide again. Try but again unconverted. Biggar made ground but conceded a penalty Musselburgh again attacked, with their pack carrying hard, creating space wide which they exploited with their winger breaking down the side, Biggar’s Isaac Cullen gave chase and caught his man, but was judged a high tackle, result yellow card and penalty try for Musselburgh. Biggar forced their way into Musselburgh’s 22, and of the back of a maul Alasdair Sinclair crossed the line, try not converted.

2nd half Biggar changes: Harrison Lang for Alasdair Sinclair, Fergus Mason for Paul Davidson, Conner Davidson for Kyle Frame, Stewart Neill for Charlie Girdler, Ben Main for Lewis Reid.

Biggar started hard in second half forcing their way up field and with pressure on the 5m line a space opened for Tom Roper to cross the line, try which Gregor Lang converted, Musselburgh struck back almost immediately with strong carries again from their centres, scoring under the posts, try converted. Biggar replaced Cameron Gray with Stewart Neill going into the back 3 and Tom Roper moving to hooker. Musselburgh again scored thru the centre with some poor defence from Biggar. Centre field scrum for Biggar resulted in the ball get out wide to Ben Main on the halfway line, with pace and a perfectly weighted kick over the last defender, and recovering the ball scored in the corner, try, again not converted. Musselburgh again attacked and scored, try, unconverted. Musselburgh again exploited some poor defence from Biggar scoring again Try. Biggar changed Louis Calvin for James Galloway. Biggar again got the ball wide into the hands of Ben Main, who again broke up the wing and was pulled down with a high tackle inside the 22, penalty Biggar, lineout option for Biggar with ball secured Ryan Whitefield crashed over the line, try again unconverted to end the match.

Final score Musselburgh 55 Biggar 28

Debuts for James Galloway, Stewart Neill, Ben Main, Conner Davidson

Man of Match Euan Laing

Coaches’ comments: Extremely proud of the efforts from the entire squad and recognised the 3 colts who stepped up to play at this level. Special mention for James Galloway who has trained most of the season, for his chance to play in a competitive game.

Biggar 2nd XV v Edinburgh Accies 2nd XV

Biggar fielded 15 player Edinburgh Accies fielded 22 players.

Biggar with insufficient forwards, resulted in the scrum area of the game being uncontested.

1st half Biggar started well working out to the edges and carrying well around the forwards areas, Edinburgh Accies were also looking to carry hard relying on their forwards to try and punch through the Biggar defence, but the first score went to Biggar with Aird Jardine kicking through and Calum McCallum scoring the first try of the match, which he converted.

On the restart Accies secured ball and again forced Biggar back with hard carrying from their forwards. Accies managed to work to an edge and coming back infield their No 6 broke through Biggar’s defence and scored, which was converted. Game continued with both sides trying to get the upper hand, but Accies gave away a penalty in the Biggar half within range, Calum McCallum converted.

Accies continued to pressurise Biggar again breaking through Biggar defence and scoring and converting. Biggar attacked and with some good hands and running lines got in behind Accies line and looked dangerous with both centres breaking free, but the last pass didn’t go to hand, resulting in a knock on, Accies ball.  Accies cleared their lines and worked their way back up the pitch, to add another try which was again converted.

2nd half Accies were on the front foot and got deep into Biggar 22 resulting in a Biggar line out but Biggar’s quick throw to the front resulted in the ball being passed off the pitch, Accies lineout was secured and a driving maul was set, but an early break from the tail allowed Alasdair Sinclair to tackle player.

Accies continued to press Biggar this time getting to the line, only to be denied, referee deciding there had been a double movement. With both sides refusing to give ground tensions rose resulting in captains been called to calm both sides down. Accies again broke down Biggar defence around the ruck and scored again.

Biggar manged to get a lineout on Accies 22 and with Rory Hill effective in the air Biggar secured ball and carried hard with forwards punching up, hard carries from Cameron Gray and Aaron Thomson, forcing Accies back. Quick hands through the backs and a hard line from Gregor Forrest, Biggar crossed the whitewash, only to be denied as referee a judged the last pass forward.

Accies countered quickly and scored. Biggar continued to apply pressure getting to the Accies 5 metre line, but after several phases, failed to convert and lost possession. Accies cleared their lines. Biggar again attacked around the halfway mark moving the ball across the pitch and opening the Accies defence allowing Calum McCallum to break the line and get past the last defender and score which he converted on the final whistle.

Biggar 17 Edinburgh Accies 35

Man of Match Aaron Thomson

Coaches Comments Extremely proud of the squad’s performance, their heart and commitment to each other, is unsurpassed.



Match report 20th Nov 2023

The 2nd XV journeyed to Stirling for their Inter-city match. They lost narrowly by 28-24.

1st half Biggar started on a flyer with Calum McCallum breaking down the wing and with Euan Laing in support to receive the pass and cross the line, Calum then converted. Minutes into game, shortly after Calum McCallum repeated the process this time crossing the whitewash himself, and converted the points.

Stirling dug in and with good ball retention forced their way up field, Biggar conceding penalties and ground, Stirling forcing their way over the line.

From the restart Stirling again applied pressure and again Biggar gave away penalties allowing Stirling to move up pitch. With the weather as it was there was a few knock-ons from both sides and both sides struggled to get to grips with the ground conditions. Stirling kept the ball however and managed to score again. Their stand off had his kicking boots on and converted. Another scrum saw Andrew Peacock come off with an injury replaced by Andrew Howatson. Just before the half time. All level at 14 all

2nd Half Saw Biggar change Euan Laing for James Barr and Cameron Gray was replaced by Andrew Peacock. Stirling kept pressure into Biggar’s 22 and with repeated infringements from Biggar, saw Sam Davidson sent to the bin for 10mins.

Stirling capitalised and scored a try which was also converted. Andrew Howatson was replaced by Kyle Frame. Game entered a period of stalemate with neither team managing to gain an advantage. Lewis Reid came on for Sam Davidson after his 10mins were up.

Stirling moved the ball across the pitch, with the last pass being intercepted by Finlay Crozier about halfway line who then ran in the try, which was converted. Biggar level again and with confidence attacked into Stirling’s half. This time it was Stirling who gave away a penalty, and within kicking range Calum McCallum added the three points.

Biggar ahead but could they hold on to the lead. Both sides again dug in and defended, with Stirling eventually gaining ground and managing to score and convert. Gregor Forrest was replaced by Daniel Conaghan. Biggar fought hard and got into a good position but with a knock-on and resulting scrum, Stirling kicked the ball off the pitch, to win a close fought game.

Final score Stirling 28 Biggar 24

Man Of Match Oliver Keast

Season debut for Daniel Conaghan.

Coaches were. impressed by the squad’s ability to dig in and support each other, special mentions for Ross Jackson, Aird Jardine, James Barr, Andrew Peacock for their leadership roles on the pitch.

2nd XV v Currie

Biggar fielded 22 players Currie fielded 20 players,

1st half

Game was only 30 sec old when play was halted, and a stretcher called for a Currie player with a suspected neck injury. After some treatment and time however, he regained his feet and was helped to the side lines. We hope that he recovers well. Play resumed about 10min later.

Currie attacked well with good ball retention and managed to get out wide and score in the corner. This try was converted. On the restart Biggar received and kicked back into Currie territory. Currie returned the kick and chased hard eventually recovering ball. Biggar found themselves on the back foot and Currie pushed home with an off-loading run through the centre resulting in their 2nd try which was also converted.

Biggar restarted well to gain ground, with some good ball movement around the pitch. The side looked sharp with ball in hand but were unable to breach the line. It was Currie who again broke through around the edge to score a try out wide, but they were unsuccessful with their conversion attempt.

2nd half

Biggar went back into the game with changes Adrian Kotze changed for Will Smith. This put Louis Calvin into the front row, with Will Smith going into the second row. Biggar again played well getting into the right areas of the pitch, but issues with line out, and an overthrow allowed Currie to break out of their 22.

Biggar’s defence held Currie out again but they gave away a penalty and then an extra 10m which then put Currie on front foot again. They scored under the posts and this was converted.

The restart saw Biggar start a kicking duel, with Euan Laing and Callum Mc Callum testing Curries backs. Biggar kept pressure and Gregor Laing kicked well for a 50/22, but although the kick was successful it was judged to have been passed back into the Biggar half before the kick.

Callum McCallum was replaced by Lewis Reid and Rory Hill replaced Andrew Peacock, and not long after this Kyle Frame replaced Craig McDonald. Currie took advantage of the changes to score again, with the conversion added. Biggar replaced Andrew Wight with Sam Davidson, and Euan Laing gave way to Isaac Cullen for the final minutes of the game.

You know it’s been a hard game when you can’t read the numbers on the back of the forwards.

There were praiseworthy comments from the Currie Coach who said it had been a while since they had come up against such a strong and stubborn defence. Players of note in defence Morris McDiarmid, Craig Frame, Louis Calvin.

Man of the match Andrew Wight.

Biggar coaches’ comments centred on the pride they had in the effort put in in by all the squad, especially on defence side of the game. There is no doubt that this squad continues to grow in confidence and belief in themselves as a team on the pitch.

28th October v GHA 2nd XV

Biggar fielded 22 players and GHA fielded 19 players.

1st Half Biggar started the game with more confidence after the win the week before gaining ground and moving the ball around the pitch. Deep into GHA 22 some good handling got the ball into Nathan Brown hands, and he crossed the line, try! Finlay Croziers attempt was just wide of the posts.

Within minutes Biggar flanker Fraser Simpson received a yellow card for a high tackle. Biggar’s pressure on the GHA line resulted in a penalty and Finlay Crozier converted. Biggar kept attacking the GHA line and deep into the GHA 22, with Biggar forwards asserting pressure, Neil Jones eventually crossed the line under the posts, for a try which Finlay Crozier converted.

Play continued with GHA gaining ground. Just before half time Tom Main came off with an injury and was replaced by Gregor Forrest.

2nd Half Biggar changed Will Smith for Cameron Gray. GHA came out with determination and quickly asserted pressure and got over the line for a try, but were unable to convert.

Harry Lang came off with an injury: Sam Davidson went into scrum half and Calum McCallum came onto the wing, and made his presence felt, scored a try, which was converted.

Biggar kept working and started to string some moves together and eventually Gregor Forrest broke the line and scored, but it wasn’t converted. GHA kept pressure and with repeated penalties in the 22, Gregor Forrest was sent to the bin for 10min (yellow card team penalty) Biggar were now a man down and GHA applied pressure and were rewarded with a try, but this was not converted.

Biggat then made a number of changes. James Barr was replaced, Lewis Reid came onto the field at wing, and a reshuffle of the back line, James Galloway came on for Neil Jones, Fergus Mason was on for Andrew Peacock, Kyle Frame went on for Fraser Simpson.

GHA kicked deep into Biggar 22. Biggar secured the lineout ball but the clearing kick out was charged down, and GHA picked the ball up and scored a try which they converted. Just at full time.

Man Of Match Morris McDiarmid

14th October v Heriots

Biggar fielded 22 players and Heriot’s fielded 22 players.

In the 1st Half Biggar started off slowly and Heriot’s got on the front foot forcing Biggar to lose ground. Some strong running from Heriots and slick hands moved the ball across the pitch allowing Heriots to score out wide, the try was converted.

Biggar struggled to find touch when kicking out of their own half, this allowing Heriots to run back at Biggar through the centre and also out wide. Biggar kept heart however, and were rewarded with a penalty, but just failed to convert with the ball just wide of the posts.

The Biggar line out was clean and this set up a driving maul to the Heriots5m line. Breaking from maul Louis Calvin crossed the whitewash, but Euan Laing’s conversion was just wide of the sticks. Heriots again broke down the wing, and while the Heriots player was eventually brought down, the referee decided that Craig McDonalds tackle was high, and he was sent to the bin for 10min.

Biggar moved up the pitch with a penalty, and line out secured, they attacked inside Heriot’s 22, where Heriot’s received a yellow card for multiple penalties within the 22 red zone.

It was Heriots who worked another try which was again converted.

In the 2nd Half Biggar rang the changes with Andrew Wight replaced for Luhan Kotze at scrum half, Kyle Frame changed for Fraser Simpson, Gregor Forrest changed for Lewis Reid to wing, this meaning a reshuffle of the back line with Morris McDiarmid and Tom Main moving in a position. Adrian Kotze was replaced by Cameron Gray at Hooker.

The game continued with both sides defending well. After 20min Luhan was replaced by Harry Lang at scrum half, Euan Laing was replaced by Callum McCallum at full back. Heriot’s gained territory and scored again and this was converted as the Heriot’s kicker wasn’t missing anything.

Andrew Peacock was replaced by Will Smith. The Biggar squad never lost heart and kept up the pressure and getting into Heriot’s 22 again, there was a reward with Louis Henderson crossing the line and scoring. Callum McCallum’s attempt was again wide of the posts.

Final score Biggar 10 Heriots 35

Debuts for this season Luhan Kotze, Will Smith, Fraser Simpson

Man Of Match: Sam Davidson

Coaches where pleased with the solid performance right across the squad.

30th September 2023

Biggar 2nds 17 v Musselburgh 2nds 5

Biggar fielded 21 players and Musselburgh fielded 21 players.

1st half Biggar started slowly with Musselburgh getting into the Biggar 22. Maintaining pressure, Biggar conceded penalties, and Musselburgh was rewarded with a try scored from close range by working themselves around the Biggar defence but failed to convert the try.

The Biggar scrum was under pressure with our young front row struggling to contain a more experienced Musselburgh front row. Coaches swapped props, with Adrian Kotze going to tight head and Louis Calvin to the loose head and this stabilized the scrum. Line out was working well and allowed the backs and centres to attack the Musselburgh centres with strong runs from Tom Main and Morris MacDiarmid. Biggar first score came from Lewis Reid on the wing who got around his opposite number and scored in the corner, Euan Laing converted.

2nd Half Musselburgh again got into Biggar’s 22, but a staunch Biggar defence denied them any points, Biggar received a penalty and cleared their lines. It was then Biggar’s turn to gain and hold territory and after sustained pressure, Andrew Peacock crashed over and scored a try which Calum McCallum converted. Musselburgh came back at Biggar, but Biggar’s defence held strong even at close range. Musselburgh was denied a try which was held up by the Biggar forwards. Biggar attacked through the centres and drew a penalty which was converted by Callum Mc Callum.

Final score Biggar 17 Musselburgh 5

Biggar played well across the entire squad. Defence was strong and spirited.

Debut for this season Zander Lyon and Neil Jones

Man Of Match Zander Lyon

September 17th v Stirling County 2nds

Biggar 14 Stirling 52

Biggar fielded 16 players Stirling fielded 21.

In the 1st half, Biggar received an early penalty on the halfway. Callum McCallum had the distance but unfortunately was wide of the posts. Stirling applied pressure and were rewarded when the Stirling 9 spotted space at the breakdown and took advantage to score under the posts. This was converted. Further Stirling pressure paid off again when a cross field kick was caught and scored by Stirling 15. This was again converted. It was then Biggar’s turn to apply pressure, and this was rewarded with Louis Calvin scoring, Callum converting.

Stirling scored another 2 tries’ before ½ time. Biggar struggled to contain Stirling’s south sea islander’s strong runs and big carries.

2nd half

Biggar started to put together a better defence but struggled to contain the Stirling 9 who scored from the base of a scrum. Stirling scored again, and converted again. Biggar centres Morris McDiarmid and Gregor Forrest linked well in mid field with Morris breaking the line, chipping ahead and catching the ball. He made 25m before he was caught. Biggar kept territory and after a scrum on the 5m, ball was shifted wide this allowing Gregor Forrest to score. This was converted.

Biggar 14 Stirling 52

A big thankyou to all those who turned out for the game,

Debuts for this season, Calum McLemon, Aaron Thomson, Scott Thomson.

Fergus Mason is away to Uni at Newcastle we wish him well.

Man Of the Match. Scott Thomson

September 10th 2023

Match Report

Glasgow Hawks 2nds 48 v Biggar 2nds 14

Biggar travelled to Nether Craigs training ground for their second league game. Biggar fielded a squad of 16 players, Hawks fielded a squad of 21, weather was hot with a slight breeze.

Biggar started slowly, feeling their way into the game but Hawks found an opening, capitalised and scored the first try of the game. No conversion.

Biggar were playing well with a better kicking game than the week before. Gaining territory and receiving a penalty Biggar opted to go for corner, and secure lineout, but Hawks kept Biggar out. Playing across the pitch Biggar received another penalty and opted for the corner again. After a few phases Biggar scored with Cameron Gray crossing the line, Calum McCallum converting. Hawks gained territory into Biggar half, but with high tackle penalty count, Hawks received a penalty which they failed to convert.

After the break Biggar changed Fergus Mason for Kyle Frame – this marking Fergus’s senior debut. Hawks had a total 4 changes and Biggar struggled to hold the Hawks replacement No 8 who carried hard and gained ground every time, Hawks eventually scored a try which was converted.

Biggar lost ground again, even with a kicking battle Hawks managed to gain ground and scored again but failed to convert. Biggar prop Jordan (debut at Prop) sustained an injury and was replaced with Kyle Frame and scrums went uncontested.

Biggar were soon under pressure again and from a ineout on the 5m Hawks scored another try with a driving maul which was converted. Biggar was looking fatigued with the heat and Hawks scored another 2 try’s which where both converted.

Biggar needed a boost in morale. Step up Harry Lang with a piece of individual brilliance, chipping the ball over the Hawks line and racing through and collecting ball on first bounce and scoring under the posts. Calum McCallum converted. Hawks continued with pressure and scored a further 2 try’s neither of which were converted.

Glasgow Hawks 48 Biggar 14

Coaches were impressed by the resilience of the Biggar squad who never gave up on the game. The referee was impressed with Jordan’s debut at prop and congratulated him for his efforts.

Man of the Match Cameron Gray

September 2nd 2023

Biggar 2nd 7 v Currie 2nd 28

Saturday was a lovely day for rugby, and there was a good turnout for Biggar’s squad of 19 players; Currie had a squad of 22 players.

Both sides consisted of young players with a few senior/ experienced players. Biggar started well and managed to contain Currie for 20 min, before Currie managed to exploit space out wide and with support players, scored the first try which was converted.

Biggar continued to hold territory but were unable to convert this into points. The Biggar pack continued to dominate their opposition during the scrums but once again, Currie managed to get the ball into space and open Biggar’s defence out wide to score a second try which was converted.

Just before the end of the first half Currie took the direct route with a strong run through the centre, breaking the Biggar line and one of the support players following this break scored under the posts.

In the second half Biggar made a change in the front row and kept gaining territory, taking play up to 5m line. Although the Currie defence held out, Biggar built the pressure and eventually scored a close range try from Max Barrington. This was converted.

The game restarted with both sides holding territory and trying to gain the upper hand. Currie eventually found a gap in the Biggar defence and scored again which was also converted.

The score line doesn’t show how closely matched these 2 sides were on the day. Biggar’s coaching team was impressed by the squad’s commitment in their first league game of the season. It was also good to see so many supporters down to watch both sides play.

Congratulations to Andrew Wight and Kyle Anderson on their senior debuts.

Man Of Match Sam Davidson

Season 2022/23

Match report 8th October

The 2nd XV had excellent win on the road, at Selkirk. The 2nds have benefited from the return of a couple of young ‘old hands’ in Drew Brewster and Callum Dunlop while the work of Steff Richards and the likes of Euan Laing and Callum McCallum is crucial.

Points: Tries from Finlay Crozier (2), Drew Brewster, Alan Warnock, Luca Molinaro, Jack Connor, Callum Dunlop. Convs Callum McCallum (6)

Match Report 16th October 2021

Biggar 2nds 30 Stewarts Melville 21

This was the perfect example of a match with two contrasting halves. With a really youthful squad Biggar were off the pace in the first 40, allowing their visitors far too much space and giving them a free rein to attack. Perhaps overawed or simply lacking in confidence Stew Mel were able to take the initiative and scored 3 fairly straightforward tries, their pace and attack finding holes in the Biggar defence.

Well led by Jamie Tucker and ably backed by his team which after the break included ex-Biggar stand off Alistair Warnock (a former Edinburgh and Borders pro player who represented Scotland 7’s at among other competitions the Melbourne Commonwealth games in 2006), the Biggar side took the match by the scruff of the neck in the second period.

There was an 18 point gap between the two sides but gradually this was whittled down with tries from newcomer Jack Connor (2), veteran Andrew Howatson (Warnock and Howatson last player together for Biggar in a Colts National final in 1999!), Rhys Thomson and skipper Tucker. With only 1 of these converted the score at the match end was 30-21!

A remarkable but excellent comeback and one which should instill some confidence in the squad. Another to enjoy the party and making an all too rare appearance was Stevie Campbell who added some grunt up front. Once again though it was the youngsters, Euan Laing, Euan McAra, Archie Damer and David McGivern (among others) who took the eye. It was also good to see Cameron Gray making a return to action after injury.

Commiserations to the trio of Callum Yardley, Alex Toal and Cameron Snell who did not get onto the pitch.

East Reserve League Round 14

Boroughmuir 2A 29 Biggar 19

A frustrating afternoon for the 2nd XV as they finished on the wrong side of a close encounter at Meggetland. The squad will need to recover quickly as some big tests are around the corner against some of the league top sides such as Edinburgh Accies and Hawick.

East Reserve League Round 13

Currie Cheiftans A 41 Biggar 16

A tough day in the capital for the 1st XV as the squad faced a heavy defeat.  A disappointing way to end the competitive action for 2019 but the coaching squad will be pleased with how there young squad is adapting to senior rugby.

East Reserve League Round 12

Musselburgh RFC 20 Biggar RFC 22

After a couple of weeks off due to postponed fixtures the 2s were desperate to get back into action against Musselburgh at Stoneyhill. Musselburgh have been of the reserve divisions top teams all season currently sitting in 2nd 10 points behind leaders Hawick force. The 2s squad was boosted by experienced players Robbie Lavery and Andrew Peacock who slotted in alongside the in form youngsters such as Harry Archibald and Finn Barr. A fantastic team performance led to what was undoubtedly Biggar 2s strongest performance of the season so far. Tries from Drew Brewster, Alan Warnock and Craig McDonald alongside points from the boot of James Barr was enough to edge out this close contest.

East Reserve League Round 11

Biggar 28 Jed Forest A 0

Insufficient players away.

East Reserve League Round 10

Biggar 2s 7 Selkirk A 10

After a narrow defeat in the borders earlier in the season Biggar were hopeful of a victory in the return fixture on home soil. However a strong defensive performance from Selkirk was to leave coaches and players from Biggar frustrated and disappointed. Biggar looked in control for the majority of the match and lead after a well worked team try finished by Craig McDonald. Selkirk then scored what would prove to be a pivotal try in the last quarter of the game to settle the contest. The last few weeks have outlined clear strengths and work ons of the 2s squad. Defensively the squad are performing well and have only conceded 2 tries in the last 2 games however the squad is struggling to capitalize on their opportunities in attack which cost them last weekend. Plenty for coach Calum Taylor to work on with the squad ahead of next weekends trip to Meggetland.

East Reserve League Round 9

Edinburgh Accies 7 Biggar 2s 13

A fantastic result for the 2s against a premiership club that sat 4 places above them in the table. A converted try by Calum Taylor plus 2 Euan Bogle penalties won the match. With such a young squad its fantastic to see the likes of James Barr and Aird Jardine both of which have 1st XV experience being leaders to young lads in the 2s squad. The reward for hard work and good performances in the 2s was demonstrated this week as young back row Finlay Barr got his opportunity with the 1st XV of the bench against watsonians.

East Reserve League Round 8

Biggar 2s 23 Stewart Melville RFC 35

A defeat at home for the 2s squad was ultimately disappointing for coach Calum Taylor but yet again his youthful squad provided positives. They faced a physical Stew Mel squad that had been scoring points for fun all season.  21 of the 22 players involved in the 2s squad came trhough the ranks at Biggar which is fantastic to see. This match also marked the return from injury for Aird Jardine who was returning from 18 months out after a freak leg injury. Jardine returned with a 60 minute performance in which he even managed to get a try. The other biggar points came from the reliable boot of Euan Bogle, tries from Daniel McKonkey and Euan Sanderson.  Youngsters such as Lee Smith, Harry Archibald, Rhys Thomson and Jack Balkwill continue to impress with their attitude and application.

East Reserve League Round 7

Hawick Force 29 Biggar 3

Mansfeild is never an easy place to and when you add tough weather conditions it will always going to be tough for our 2s squad. The scoreline however perhaps doesn’t give our boys credit as they competed all the way with the Borders side. Biggars only points came from the reliable boot of Euan Bogle.

East Reserve League Round 6

Biggar 2s 26 Currie Chieftains 12

Biggar 2s returned to winning ways with a bonus point victory over Currie Chieftains on Saturday.  Tries from Euan Bogle (x2), Dan Mcconkey, Andrew Muir and Cameron Snell. The squad managed to grind out a win but they were pushed hard by a resilient Currie side. A scrappy first half frustrated the hosts but a far improved second half seen Biggar pull away from their city counterparts.  With 7 of the squad only just moving up from 18s 2s coach Calum Taylor will be pleased how the young ones in his squad have quickly acclimatized to senior rugby and are putting in strong performances. The game was called early as Currie had been reduced to 11 due to injuries.  Club veteran David Reive spoke after the match insisting the squad must improve if they to put a consistent run of form together but also applauded the teams ability to get over the line in a stuffy contest.

East Reserve League round 5

Heriots 2s 27 Biggar 2s 13

It was another tough test for our 2s squad who travelled to Goldenacre to face one of the strongest teams in the division. We travelled with a strong squad of 22 that had a good blend of both youth and experience with the likes of Douglas Notman and Alan Warnock joining the squad. The Game was at points scrappy but there was still positives to take from the defeat as the squad look to build towards hosting Currie Chieftains this Saturday.

East Reserve League Round 4

Biggar 2s 12 Musselburgh 2s 31

It was a 2s squad with a blend of youth and experience to face Musselburgh with David Reive and Ian Renwick joining the squad. However the 2s squad came up just short against a clinical Musselburgh side. A big learning curve for some of the young players who are still only starting life in senior rugby but the squad will have a brilliant chance to bounce back when they travel to Goldenacre to face Heriots Blues next Saturday

East Reserve League Round 3

Jed Forest 2s 27 Biggar 2s 29

The 2s built on round 2s home victory over Boroughmuir with a hard fought victory at Riverside Park in Jedburgh. It was another youthful squad that travelled to the Borders and Head Coach Calum Taylor would have been delighted with the 5 points collected on the road. Youngsters such as Harry Archibald who is fresh out of the colts continue to improve week on week and its encouraging signs ahead for the 2s squad. The squad will now prepare to welcome Musselburgh to Hartree next week.

East Reserve League Round 2

Biggar 2nds 34 Boroughmuir 12

The 2nd XV notched up their first win of the season in a 5 try bonus point defeat of Boroughmuir.

Boroughmuir led 7-5 at the break, Biggar’s discipline and ball retention once again costing them. Euan Bogle’s weaving run led to the only points for the hosts in an otherwise scrappy first half.

Biggar took the initiative early into the second half through Marcus Dobie after some sustained pressure. This proved to be a decisive point in the match with tries following from Simon Horrell, Scott Watson, Jamie Bell and Andrew Muir with Euan Bogle adding 2 conversions before a consolation score from Boroughmuir on the final whistle.

There were several notable performances from younger members of the squad with Harry Archibald, Lee Smith and Jack Balkwill all making a great account of themselves and showing how much they are learning and developing.

The 2nds travel to Jed next week and this young team will be looking forward to getting more game time under their belts. Many thanks to veterans Callum Taylor and Scott Watson for making themselves available, the latter crowning his time with a try.

Scorers: Horrell, Bogle, Muir, Bell, Watson, Dobie

Man of the match: Marcus Dobie

Selkirk 2nds 33 Biggar 2nds 26

A try bonus point and a losing bonus point was the reward for the new look 2nd XV, who got their season off to a start with a narrow loss at Selkirk on Saturday.

With an average age of only 20 and 7 players starting their debut season of senior rugby this is certainly a team who’s development will be interesting to watch over the course of the season.

Despite their youth, Biggar enjoyed real scrum dominance through the game and will be disappointed not to leave Philiphaugh with more, with discipline and coughing up cheep possession costing them dear.

The game proved to be a real nip and tuck affair with Biggar points coming from a quick tap by Finn Barr, a junky Euan Bogle run and two superb runs by Simon Horrell firstly putting Marcus Dobie in and the second ending in a high tackle  over the line and a penalty try.

A different bounce of the ball, a couple less injuries or one more pass to hand and this could well have been Biggar’s day.Instead having to settle for 2 losing bonus points this young team will learn, develop and move forward. The 2s are looking forward to welcoming Boroughmuir to Hartree Mill next week.

Tries: Finlay Barr, Euan Bogle, Simon Horrell, Marcus Dobie

Conversions: Euan Bogle x 3

MOTM: Simon Horrell