Coaching Staff

Established in 2017 is our senior Ladies setup. Building on the success of our girls teams Biggar Ladies provides a blend of competitive and social rugby for anyone interested in playing the sport. Our Ladies section continues to grow and now competes in the Tennent’s West League.

Our Youth Director of rugby Nic Humphries along side Stuart Moffat are the coaching team for the Ladies Squad..

Training is on a Wednesday evening 7pm – 8.30pm and fixtures take place on a Sunday.

The Ladies team is for all ages and is always seeking and welcoming new players regardless of playing experience. We would love to welcome new players to our Ladies squad in 2021 and hope our Ladies section continues to grow in the coming years.

Head Coach - Nic Humphries

Backs Coach - Stuart Moffat

SEASON 2023/24

Match Report 28th April 2024

National Shield Final: Biggar 66 West of Scotland 20

It’s just a few weeks short of two years since Biggar Ladies last graced the hallowed Murrayfield turf but nothing much has changed it seems, Biggar winning again, this time to take the Shield, when in 2022 it was the National Bowl.

Biggar’s squad is as strong as it has ever been. From 1-22 there were no weak links, every player looking comfortable and accomplished in whatever position or role they were holding. There was a maturity about their play which made light of any errors and allowed them to regroup and go again.

That the squad was without Captain Emelia Knights and Scotland age group forward Kirsty Ritchie might have been enough to weaken other sides but their places were filled with players eager to play their best for the Biggar team.

Of the squad that played in 2022, no fewer than 8 were present this time round with, by my reckoning, several making repeat appearances at Murrayfield having played (and won) age grade competitions: Gerry Kimm (4), Abbi Baillie (3), Emily Armstrong (3) Jen Bell (2) to name a few. For some who played in the U18 Cup Final in December, this was their second visit to the Stadium in less than 6 months!

This experience inevitably stood the side in good stead while the fact that they have played together so often made a big difference to their play and confidence.

Opponents West were defending the trophy which they won in 2023 and so they too were familiar with the venue with their squad also containing 8 who played in the 2023 final.

Of course any side needs coaches and guidance and those individuals – Nic Humphries, Stuart Moffat, Mark Yates, Nathan Knights and Donald Voas - all deserve great credit for their efforts. Not forgetting of course the physio input of Jennifer Hewitt, the management of Ladies convenor Laura Watson and the input of match reporter and team admin Kim Laird with Team Sponsors Hillhead of Covington also present. And last but not least, the huge number of supporters who travelled to cheer on the team was hugely significant! West undoubtedly added the most colour to the proceedings but they were out-matched by the volume of the Biggar support – there were Biggar RFC banners, bobble-hats, beanies and scarves everywhere!! Fantastic!

The sides had met twice this season before Saturday’s match, both games being closely contested with just one try separating the sides on each occasion at 19-12 and 35-28, both however won by Biggar.

In the end the result was, on paper at least fairly convincing, Biggar romping home by 10 tries to West’s 3, but there were some great passages of play from both sides.

Biggar began at a cracking pace, Gerry Kimm ghosting through the West defence for the first try after just 43 secs!

The kicking duties were eventually shared but first up was Emily Armstrong who added the two points to this try and then Biggar’s second and third score, these a brace from Freya Lejkowski to take Biggar ahead by 21-0. A patient build up saw Biggar take ball forward with Alison Russell setting up the play for the first of these two scores, and then a bull-dozing run by Lily Glendinning paving the way for the second. The quality of Biggar’s handling was excellent while Freya’s pace on the ball took her through the West defence.

Biggar are wiser than to relax and it was just was well, with West then coming right back into the game. Their pack took ball well to advance play forward and there were glimmers of hope for them when this paid off, Olivia McCartine MacCann rounding off a period of sustained pressure with a try in the corner.

The fact that this was so far out – Biggar’s mid-pitch defence forcing West ever wider – meant that this try was unconverted.

The next 10 minutes or so of play was largely dominated by West who used their pack to good effect. Biggar twice over-turned possession during these exchanges but they were unable to extricate themselves from their half and then their 22 as West advanced play. A couple of clearing kicks were well dealt with by West who were able to maintain their position in the Biggar 22. The dam had to burst and West’s second score fell to Rowan Todd who took advantage of a penalty award to tap and go herself to crash over under the posts. A bit of bad luck saw the conversion rebound off the upright.

On the stroke of half time Biggar added a fourth and very important score, this from Emily Coubrough who had just come onto the pitch and whose pacey, angled run and quality footwork took her through and round the West defence and over the line. Armstrong added the conversion for 28-10.

Had Biggar not scored at this point and had West managed a third the second half would have perhaps been very different.

As it was, Biggar stormed back into the fray on the restart with Coubrough and then Armstrong making great yards. With just 5 minutes of the second half gone, a couple of penalties saw Biggar lay siege on the West line, Poppy Clarkson making the initial break before feeding Jen Bell who crashed over in typical fashion for a try converted again by Armstrong.

Biggar then delivered a hammer blow to West to virtually seal the contest. Gerry Kimm collected possession directly from the restart kick and showing her trademark acceleration she burst through the West line to score under the posts for a try converted by Armstrong.

West had been 28-10 down, they were now 42-10 down. But they were not yet out and another series of plays had Biggar back on the defenisve yet again. The defence held pretty well although Biggar were twice penalised for going off their feet when they attempted the jackal.

A number of forward efforts ended with a second determined run by Rowan Todd who wrestled her way over the line for her second and West’s third try.

Normal service was resumed just minutes later as Biggar turned the tables and put West under attack. A great run by Abigail Barrett ended unfortunately with an injury which was to force her off the pitch. Having regained possession, albeit a little scrappily, ball was passed wide right and this created space for Alexandra Philipps who was able to round the West defence for a great score. Lejkowski’s conversion suffered a similar fate to that of West’s first half effort and rebounded off the upright .

Phillips try was significant in that her contribution throughout the match did much to ensure Biggar’s win while just hours later her sister Rachel was named as Player of the Match for Sarah Beaney Cup winners Watsonians! A very proud and special day for the Philips family! In this instance not quite the case of One Club, One Family but instead Two Clubs, One Family!

Five minutes later and Jen Bell crossed for her second try, this after great runs by first of all Lily Glendinning and secondly by Cerys Forrest. This was converted by Freya Lejkowski who then scored her hat-trick, this a lung-bursting sprint from deep with her own half after she picked off an interception pass in a West attack. The conversion was kicked by Emily Coubrough. Freya’s 3 tries and one conversion deservedly earned her the Player of the Match award.

The final score was a cracker! Having regained possession on half way, prop Megan McIver set off towards the West line, throwing an outrageous dummy pass as she made ground. Despite being tackled she got the ball to debutante Lisa Brown who needed no second invitation to make the line from some 10 metres out, and this whilst being tackled by the West cover! What a way to round things off from a Biggar point of view, though West had the last word with a try in the corner which led to referee Madeliene Bullen blowing for full time.

Many congratulations to all involved. Inevitably those who scored tries get mentions but above all this was a fantastic team effort and every player made their mark on the game, whether in defence or attack. Alison Orr was a constant threat in attack while she flung herself into tackle after tackle, leading from the front as befits a team captain. Alyson Henderson was another who made a real nuisance of herself in the loose, slowing West ball down and handling well in attack. Props Verity Kennet and Poppy Clarkson helped provide a solid base at set piece whilst also handling well when going forward. Elise Knights defended well throughout and as a member of the pack helped provide a solid base and good go forward ball for the backs. Scrum half Charlotte Harris did her bit in providing a steady, accurate stream of possession to her stand off Farah Conn who distributed this to her ever eager backs, Abbi Baillie although not scoring, asking questions with her direct running. Fiona Laing and Eilidh Armstrong had fewer chances in attack but they did everything that was asked of them with some good defence when West attacked. As mentioned a team performance of which all can be really proud.

And finally, congratulations to the ball girls and team guard of honour, including Penny Moffat, youngest daughter of coach Stuart Moffat and wife Jenni who was Saturdays very important mascot and who ran out with captain Ali Orr.

The squad were delighted to receive the Shield with Club President Rab Ramsay and Vice President Gordon Young in attendance. The Ladies then posed for the numerous photographs, with Biggar photographer Nigel Pacey’s collection on Facebook.


Gerry Kimm, Fiona Laing, Freya Lejkowski, Abbi Baillie, Alexandra Philipps, Farah Conn, Charlotte Harris, Megan McIver, Alyson Henderson, Poppy Clarkson, Alison Russell, Lily Glendinning, Elise Knights, Alison Orr (C), Emily Armstrong. Reps: Cerys Forrest, Verity Kennet, Jen Bell, Emily Coubrough, Abigail Barrett, Lisa Brown, Eilidh Armstrong.

Ladies v Broughton

National Shield semi-final 8th April 2024

It was semi-final time down at Hartreemill as Biggar ladies faced Broughton in a bid to get to Murrayfield for Silver Saturday. The important fixture drew a large crowd as well as the pre match sponsor lunch being well attended.

Biggar were the first to score after the visitors gave away 3 consecutive penalties leading to a yellow card. The home side capitalised on the miss match of numbers as No. 6 Elise Knights crossed in the corner, no conversion. The next score came again from the home side as No. 7 Alison Orr crossed the line. The wind was against Biggar in the first half which made for some tricky conversion attempts, unsuccessful on this occasion. Broughton were made to work very hard for what turned out to be their only points of the match, building through the phases against a relentless Biggar defence but they eventually broke through add 5 to their score line. Biggar utilised fresh legs towards the end of the first half as Megan Mcivar, Verity Kennett and Jen Bell replaced Cerys Forrest, Alison Russell and Elise Knights. It was Biggar in possession once again as they went through the phases, they were rewarded as No.15 Gerri Kimm added another 5 to the score board. An excellent defensive effort from Biggar throughout kept the Broughton attack at bay but an intercept from the visitors saw them gain some yards. However, it was stolen at the breakdown by No. 12 Abbie Baillie. Broughton had the last attack of the first half as the worked hard breaking through the Biggar defence, but a dominant tackle from No. 15 Gerri Kimm forced the knock on and the half time whistle blew.

Half time score 15- 5

Biggar had the wind behind them in the second half scoring towards the clubhouse which suited them well as No.15 Gerri Kimm made a break from her own 22 skipping past Broughton’s scramble defence to score between the posts, Conversion successful. Possession ping ponged between the teams but Broughton struggled to gain any ground as Biggar’s line speed throughout was outstanding and shut down any potential threats quickly. The forwards rotated well and brought on fresh legs throughout. After a tremendous effort at a Broughton scrum hooker Alyson Henderson got boot to ball guiding it back to Biggar as No. 9 Charlotte Harris gave quick ball to the backs who reacted well pulling of a well-rehearsed move which allowed No. 13 Freya Lejkowski to score the final points of the game, conversion unsuccessful. Biggar defended well until the final whistle with some big hits coming in from No.8 Emily Armstrong.

Final Score 27- 5… Murrayfield here we come!

Player of the match chosen by Biggar – No.9 Charlotte Harris

Player of the match chosen by Broughton- No. 8 Emily Armstrong

The final will take place at 11am on Silver Saturday on the main pitch at Murrayfield. Look out on social media for all supporter information. A huge crowd would be greatly appreciated.

Ladies 50 vs Oban Lorne 7 (A)  10/03/24

Biggar Ladies travelled to Oban on Sunday for another National Shield pool game. The long bus journey up didn’t dampen the spirits as the Ladies came away with a convincing win on the road.

Oban got the game underway but their kick off was gathered cleanly by Biggar’s 15, Geraldine Kimm, who weaved her way through the defence to score in the first play of the game. Unconverted. Oban in possession used the ball well and put pressure on Biggar’s defence, a strong line from their 12 saw them make a short break but Biggar’s defence was too strong. A successful counter ruck from Alison Orr saw Biggar making the yards using the offloads well to move the ball. Biggar chose to kick to gain the yards which was luckily gathered by No.3 Poppy Clarkson who exploited a gap in the Oban defence. A good off load and then through the hands to winger Alexandra Philips who worked hard and got the ball over the line to score Biggar’s 2nd of the match. Unconverted.

Biggar Captain Emelia Knights left the field with a Knee injury replaced by only sub of the day Abbie Baillie.

It was the home team in possession just 5m from the line as Biggar gave away a couple of penalties for offside, Oban were able to capitalise crossed for their first, successfully converted. Another successful steal from Abbie Baillie saw Biggar in procession again, after a number of phases No. 13 Freya Lejkowski scored Biggar’s 3rd. successfully converted. It was the visitors who added the next points too as Biggar shifted the ball wide to make use of the space on the wing allowing Alexandra to break through the defence on the half way, she made it all the way scoring her second of the match, successfully converted. Possession ping ponged between the teams as some big hits came in from No 1 Megan Mciver and No. 6 Elise Knights as well as successful steals from Alison Orr, Abbie Baillie and Emily Armstrong. Oban gave away a penalty, Biggar were able to capitalise as No. 7 Alison Orr added another 5pts to the board for Biggar, successfully converted.

Half time score 7- 31

Biggar was the first to open the score in the 2nd half as a penalty kick to the corner and a front ball at the line out saw No. 3 Poppy Clarkson cross in the corner. Unconverted. It was Oban in possession once again but a penalty won by Abbie Baillie after a successful jackle. Biggar’s forwards work hard in the scrum against a strong Oban pack. Biggar awarded a penalty which allowed Abbie Baillie to score between the posts. Successfully converted. Both teams began to tire as the penalty count rose from both teams. Another successful steal from Alison Orr saw Biggar back in possession, they go through the phases and Freya made a break from the half way. Successfully converted.

Final score 7 – 50

Player of the match chosen by Oban – Abbie Baillie

Player of the match chosen by Biggar – Emily Armstrong

Next up for our ladies is the final pool match against Kelso on 24th March. There will be a pre match lunch before the Kelso game so look forward to seeing you all there.


Ladies v Greenock Wanderers 18th February 2024

There was better news for the Ladies who proved too strong for the visitors from Greenock.

Abi Baillie was replaced after just 3 minutes following a warm up injury and her place was taken by Abi Barrett who therefore made her debut for the Ladies XV.

Biggar scored their first try after they handled well in open play, Gerry Kimm rounding the Greenock defence to dot down.

A penalty kicked to touch by birthday girl Charlotte Harris promised well but although lineout ball was well won by Lilly Glendinning, possession was lost in transfer.

Alyson Henderson stole ball from Greenock in a rare attack and the Biggar were awarded a penalty which saw Elise Knights take ball on forcefully before crossing for the try.

Gerry Kimm added her second try, this successfully converted by Poppy Clarkson for the 17-0 half time score.

Biggar might have expected an easier second half having done some good work to force the visitors back in defence for virtually the whole of the first half. Greenock had other thoughts however and defended well to restrict Biggar’s attack through the third quarter.

Jennifer Bell broke the deadlock, Poppy Clarkson converting while the next score from Emily Armstrong on the wing was converted to a penalty try following a high tackle on the try scorer. This saw Greenock also lose a player to the sin bin.

Gerry Kimm ran in two further tries, both of which were converted by Poppy Clarkson for the 45-0 tally.

This match was the second in the National Shield competition and sees Biggar top their pool which consists of themselves, Greenock, Oban Lorne, Corstorphine 2nds and Kelso.

Greenock awarded player of the match to Gerry Kimm while Biggar selected Megan McIver as their player of the match. This cannot have been an easy choice as all the girls involved were to the fore throughout the match.

The Ladies face a trip to Oban for their next match, this on 10th March when they will most likely be accompanied by the U14 Girls squad. Their final match is on 24th March when they welcome Kelso to Hartree Mill.


Ladies vs Corstorphine Cougars 2s 28/01/24

The Ladies got their National Shield campaign underway at the weekend with an away trip to Corstorphine Cougars. They came away with an impressive 7- 55 Win, a fantastic start to the Shield.

Here’s what Nic Humphries (Coach) had to say after the game:

A very positive game, Penalty count was down on the last game and we reacted well and showed good gamesmanship when we gave penalties away. I was also pleased to see an improvement on the attacking structures.

Some top performances from Alison Russell, Vicky Haddow and Alex Phillips with their hits out wide and Lily Glendinning and Jen Bell rampaging runs with Gerry Kimm’s counter attacking. A full-on team performance everyone - well done. Was great to watch”

Scores came from

No.2 Allyson Henderson - 1

No.15 Geraldine Kimm - 5

No.8 Emily Armstrong - 1

No.13 Elise Knight - 1

No. 4 Jennifer Bell - 1

Conversions came from

No. 1 Poppy Clarkson - 1

NO. 8 Emily Armstrong – 4

Final Score 7- 55 Biggar.

POTM: No. 5 Alison Russell

POTM Chosen by the opposition: No. 15 Geraldine Kimm


#Biggar RFC Ladies vs Greenock 14/01/24

Biggar Ladies were back in action at the weekend to fulfil a rearranged league fixture. They travelled to Greenock on a chilly dry day, much better conditions than their previous match and a good opportunity to blow off the cobwebs after the festive break. It was great to see Fiona Laing make the move up to ladies from u18 and Lily Glendinning make her first appearance for Biggar.

The first score of the game came from Biggar as debutant Fiona made a break down the wing after the forwards worked hard to draw the defence infield, a well-placed offload to Emelia who crossed for her first. Successfully converted by Gerri. Biggar were straight back in with another as Kirsty broke through the defence, getting stopped short a meter from the line. Fiona secured the breakdown while back up arrived and Charlotte shipped the ball wide allowing Alison Orr to cross in the corner. Kick Unsuccessful.

Jennifer Bell replaced by another debutant Lily. Greenock were next to score after Biggar gave away a penalty for a high tackle. Greenock took it quick shipping ball wide taking advantaged of the disorganised Biggar defence, crossing in the corner. Kick Unsuccessful. Poppy Replaced by Megan and Vicky replaced by Eilidh.

This time it was a penalty to Biggar, the girls used quick hands and Gerri skipped her way through the defence to score between the post. Kick unsuccessful. A few phases pass with Biggar in possession, Lily made a break in the middle of the pitch beating a number of defenders, an offload wide collected by Kirsty who finished it off. Kick unsuccessful. Biggar had found their rhythm with everything clicking into place. They moved the ball well, getting it wide for Abbie to make a break down the wing eventually scoring between the posts. Kick Successful. Biggar crossed for yet another before the break, after going through the phases, Fiona made another break down the wing. Another couple of phases before Gerri crossed the line once again. Kick Successful.

A good fight between the teams as Greenock improved on their previous performance and better conditions, Biggar defended well keeping the home side out.

Half Time score: 5 – 36 Biggar.

Changes at the break: Cerys replaced by Poppy, Fiona replaced by Vicky, Kirsty Replaced by Jennifer.

Back underway in the second half Biggar working extremely hard around the breakdown winning multiple turnovers. Another steal and the ball used wide once again as Emelia broke through scoring the first of the 2nd half. Kick Successful. The hunt continued and some dominant hits going in from Alison Orr and Emelia to name a few. Another steal to Biggar and tremendous line by Abbie saw her cross the line, kick unsuccessful.

A slight shift in momentum as Biggar gave away a number of penalties allowing Greenock to make easy yards and they crossed for their 2nd of the game, kick unsuccessful. Fiona rejoined played in the number 10 shirt as Alexandra left the field. Cerys also rejoined for a stint in the second row replacing Alison Russell. Biggar’s penalty count continued to rise, with Greenock taking advantage scoring their 3rd. Kick unsuccessful.

Possession ping ponged between the teams as the mistakes began to creep in for both teams. However, Biggar moved the ball well keeping hold of possession and Gerri once again skipped through the defence crossing for another. Kick unsuccessful. Straight back in possession it was Gerri again who broke through from the halfway scoring between the posts, kick successful. It was Alyson who made the next break, after having a previous try disallowed, she was eventually rewards after a 40m run in to cross the line. Kick unsuccessful.

Alyson replaced by Alison Russell. Abbie replaced by Alexandra.

The penalties crept in once again and Poppy was shown a yellow card after a number of offsides from the whole team. Greenock took advantage of the numbers scoring their 4th. Kick unsuccessful.

Final score: Greenock 20 – 65 Biggar.

Player of the match chosen by the opposition: Gerri Kimm

Player of the match chosen by Biggar: Elise Knights


This concludes and excellent league season from Biggar Ladies securing 13/14 wins finishing in an impressive 2nd place. Next up is the National Shield, first match away vs Corstorphine 2s 28th Jan.


Biggar Ladies vs Greenock 10/12/23

Biggar ladies continued their league campaign this weekend at a very cold and wet Hartreemill.

The first score game from the home side as Captain Emelia Knights crossed the line after 9mins of play. Conversion unsuccessful. The 2nd score came minutes later as Biggar exposed an overlap on the wing. Straight running, drawing the defenders and safe hands allowed winger Vicky Haddow to run in for another, successfully converted by Emily Armstrong. Biggar’s 3rd of the match came at the 24min mark. A brilliant inside line from Megan Mciver saw her in open space, an offload to Abbie Baillie saw her cross the line for the 3rd of the match, successful conversion. The rain persisted making for extremely wet conditions. Biggar scored again after building through the phases, keeping the ball safe, short passes. It was No. 8 Kirsty Ritchie who crossed the line with another successful conversion from Emily.

The break for half time was kept short due to the weather. And it was Kirsty Ritchie who opened the scoring in the second half. Successful conversion. The conditions lead to some messy play with knock ons from both teams, a big shift for the forwards. Once again it was Kirsty who crossed for her 3rd, unsuccessful conversion.

The game was called at 60mins due to the weather.

Player of the match: Sammy Shaw

Player chosen by the opposition: Kirsty Ritchie

Ladies vs West of Scotland match report – away 19/11/23

The ladies were back in action this weekend after 2 weeks without games due to call offs. The travelled to Glasgow to face the infamous West of Scotland. It was a close match throughout with West capitalising on Biggar’s organisation. However, 2 late tries from Biggar meant the secured the win as well as getting the much needed bonus point. A special mention to Vicky Haddow who scored her first try for Biggar ladies. Farah Conn in the No. 10 shirt controlled the game well putting in a player of the match performance. Rachel Philipps (No.13) was chosen as the oppositions player of the match after breaking through the home sides defence on a number of occasions. Plenty of work ons to take away from the match before next week’s home game against Wigtownshire. A large home support would be greatly appreciated.

Scores came from:

Vicky Haddow

Alexandra Philipps

Kirsty Ritchie

Rachel Philips x2

Abbie Baillie

Jennifer Bell

17th September 2023

Ladies 19 West of Scotland 12

The Ladies league campaign continued this weekend with a home game against West of Scotland who were sitting top of the table coming into this fixture. The visitors got play under way but it was quickly stopped after 53 seconds as a West player came off injured and again at 1.53 when it was a Biggar player who left the field, Vicky Haddow was replaced by Emma Bell.

West started in top form going through the phases but the Biggar defence worked hard with some great work at the breakdown from Emily Armstrong and Cerys Forrest stealing ball. Biggar strung the phases together with some brilliant support running and tip options saw Biggar 5m out for a period of time however, they were unable to get the ball wide to convert possession into points.

It was the home side that were first on the board, a great team try with the forwards working to get quick ball for scrum half, the backs shipped it wide with Emelia Knights making a break and passing back inside to Alexandra Phillips who crossed for the first score. Conversion unsuccessful.

Biggar remained in control as they made some substitutions, Poppy Clarkson left the field replaced by Robyn Struthers and Rebecca Coffee replaced by Jennifer Bell at the 30minute mark. West were building the phases, an unsuccessful cross field kick from they but unfortunately knocked on by Biggar saw a scrum on the 5m line and West scored after 34mins, conversion successful. Biggar struggled against a heavy West pack but remained in possession until the break at half time.

Half time score: 5 – 7

Emma Bell was replaced by Eilidh Armstrong at half time. Another West player left the field through injury early into the 2nd half. West were in possession but a knock on led to a scrum, Biggar forwards had found their form and pushing much better against the West pack, but a knock on 1m out saw West clear their lines. Abbie Baillie was then replaced by Katie McPherson.

A loose ball from West dived on by Farah Conn saw Biggar back in possession. Gerri Kimm, who was back for her first game of the season, made a break for the line scoring the first points of the half, successful conversion from Alexandra Phillips. Sammy Shaw joined the field replacing Emily Armstrong.

Another line break, this time from Phillips who went all the way to cross for Biggar’s 3rd, successful conversion from Kimm. The home side then gave away a penalty 5m out. West took advantage to score their first points of the half. Unsuccessful conversion.

Cerys Forrest worked hard at the breakdown to once again allow Biggar to work towards the line. It was however West who stole possession this time but Biggar managed to keep them out for the last 5mins by defending well.

Final Score: 19 – 12

Player of the match: Alexandra Phillips

Player of the Match Chosen by West: Gerri Kimm

Biggar 70 Annan 5

Ladies v Annan

Biggar fielded a very young squad on Sunday when they hosted Annan. This match ended as a bit of a rout however, Biggar rarely challenged and scoring at regular intervals. Credit to the visitors however who could so easily have capitulated. The joy Annan had when they scored their solitary try in the second half was some reward for their efforts.

It was great to see the progress being made by this Biggar squad who must be one of the youngest Ladies squads in the league.

Ayr 29 Biggar 17

The Ladies continued their league campaign this weekend with a trip down to Millbrae to face Ayr. The home side came out strong scoring within the first 2mins. Biggar fought back as fullback Rachel Phillips made a break for the line, evening up the score. Successful conversion was from No. 10 Freya Legowski.

However, a lack of organisation within the Biggar side allowed Ayr to score their 2nd & 3rd in quick succession. Ayr’s penalty count began to rise allowing Biggar to gain ground up the park but the home side were quickly back in possession. Biggar defended well with some dominant hits coming in from Alison Orr, but a line break saw Ayr thundering towards the line, Rachel Phillips stopped them in their tracks but they regathered to cross the whitewash in the corner for their 4th try.

Biggar didn’t let up, Poppy Clarkson taking a great line to fight her way through the Ayr defence before offloading to Alison Orr in support but the fullback stopped Orr in her tracks. A number of high tackles meant that the home sides penalty count continued to rise but Biggar were unable to capitalise.

Half time score: 24-7

Second half underway. Alyson Henderson and Vicky Haddow were replaced by Robyn Struthers and Eilidh Armstrong. Ayr were in possession but a dominant tackle from Farah Conn saw Biggar awarded a penalty for holding on and this time they were able to convert with Alison Orr crossing the line for the visiting sides 2nd, albeit the conversion was unsuccessful.

A line break from Ayr caught by Alison Orr and a steal from Rachel Phillips saw Biggar making their way down the park. Alyson Henderson re-joined play replacing Cerys Forrest. A great defensive effort from Biggar and a couple of great steals from Abbie Baillie as possession ping-ponged between the 2 sides but it was Ayr who eventually broke the deadlock to cross for their 5th try.

Abbie Baillie left the field to be replaced by Emma Bell who joined on the wing, Eilidh moving to fullback and Rachel Phillips to 12. Charlotte Harris was then replaced by Anna Baillie. A good string of phases from Biggar as forwards and backs worked together saw Rachel Phillips cross for another; conversion again unsuccessful. Kirsty Ritchie continued to work hard gaining yards in attack and making dominant hits in defence. Poppy left the field as Cerys re-joined.

Ayr ended the contest and were in possession for the last 5mins but the defensive effort from Biggar kept them out.

Final Score 29-17

Player of the match chosen by Biggar – Rachel Phillips

Player of the match chosen by Ayr – Kirsty Ritchie

Match Report: Aug 20th 2023

Cartha 2nds 0 Biggar Ladies 63

Top billing this week goes to the Senior Ladies squad who opened their West Region League account with a thumping 63-0 win over Cartha 2nds – and this in a match which was cut short just after the hour mark.

A large number of unavailable players and injuries meant that Biggar travelled with the bare 15, this including 4 who have moved up to the Senior squad from the U18’s and 2 others also making their debuts at this level. This was the ideal start for these girls then who performed well and didn’t look out of place at all in their step up.

Hosts Cartha have long held the standard at Ladies rugby and it is to their credit that they field 2 sides. This was a big shake up for them however and a great opener for Biggar. Ayr is the destination for Biggar’s next game this coming Sunday and the hosts will provide a very different challenge as their 58 – 19 win over Greenock would suggest.


Alyson Henderson  (1), Ali O (2), Kirsty Ritchie (2), Freya Lejinkovski (2 trys 4 convs), Abbie Baillie (2), Alexandra (1), Eilidh Armstrong (1)


SEASON 2022/23

Match v Howe of Fife 4th December 2022 from Kim Laird

4th December 2022

Biggar 22 Howe 10

The clubhouse was packed for a pre match lunch to honour Laura Watson’s 30yr, and counting, service to Biggar and ladies’ rugby. Laura retired at the start of this season after many successful years, she now takes the role of Ladies team manager keeping memberships, player information up to date and sits on Biggar RFC committee as the ladies’ representative.

After a minute’s applause for the late George, Doddie, Weir the match got under way in rather wet and very cold conditions.

Biggar kept the crowd on their toes with a very exciting match. Howe got the first score of the match from a scrum on the 5m line. Quick ball to the blind side saw the number 8 cross the line in the corner, kick unsuccessful. After a lot of back and forth play, and some disorganisation from Biggar Howe broke the defence and crossed the line for their second, kick unsuccessful.

Vice- Caption Alison Orr showed tremendous work rate, getting multiple turnovers and contesting every ball. Howe were moving the ball well and running some great support lines but Biggar continued to put in a huge number of dominate tackles. However, a break from their own 22 saw Howe charge towards the line, Farah Conn chased back and made a crucial cover tackle stopping Howe and giving possession back to the Home side. A knock on from Biggar 5 meters from their own line saw possession once again with Howe who had numbers wide looked to score again. Fortunately for the Biggar side the damp conditions of the day caused Howe to knock on preventing their 3rd score. A touch contest in the last 5mins of the half where Howe were parked in the Biggar 22. Mistakes from both sides and some interesting interpretations of the laws from the official made for some messy play. A penalty to Biggar saw them kick to touch for an attacking line out, stolen by Howe and attempted to clear from their half through the boot possession back with Biggar but once again into touch meant the whistle sounded for half time.

Half time Biggar 0- 10 Howe

The first play of the second half saw Biggar 8 Jennifer Bell cross the line between the posts for the home sides first score of the game. Successfully converted by Katie McPherson. Biggar kept momentum up going through the phases and gaining ground up the pitch, 5m out from Howe’s line the fought hard eventually crossing the line but was deemed to be held up by the referee.

Rebecca Clarke took to the field with high work rate, putting some tremendous tackles. Having spent most of the second half in Howe’s half a loose ball from Howe was quickly pounced on by Rebecca who went over in the corner for Biggar’s second, kick missed.

Some messy play as bodies began to tire, possession alternated between the sides as both fought hard to make their way up the pitch. Some excellent tackles from the home side kept the visitors out. An outstanding, perfectly timed double hit from Captain Emelia Knights and Katie McPherson got the large crowd going. Biggar’s fight was rewarded with Alison Orr breaking through the defence crossing the line for Biggar’s 3rd, kick missed. Biggar eventually settled and the visitors who had no subs tired. The 4th try securing the bonus point came from a tremendous individual effort from fullback Geraldine Kimm who was back to her usual ways scoring from her own 22.

Quite the comeback with 22 unanswered points from the home side who showed moments of brilliance in what was overall a close match. Thanks to Ruth Snodden from Heriots who played her second game for Biggar. A special mention to front row of Robyn Struthers, Cerys Forrest and Megan McCarry who played the full 80mins.

Player of the match was awarded to Cerys Forrest after a tremendous performance in the number 2 jersey.

Howe awarded player of the match to Vice Captain Alison Orr after an enormous effort in the number 7 position.

The ladies travel to Stewartry this Sunday (11th) for their final match before Christmas in what will be a top of the table clash.


Geraldine Kimm, Katie McPherson, Elise Knights, Emelia Knights, Emma Bell, Farah Conn, Charlote Harris, Robyn Struthers, Cerys Forrest, Megan McCarry, Alison Russell, Ruth Sneddon, Cristina Ertze, Alison Orr, Jennifer Bell, Rebecca Coffey, Rebecca Clarke, B. Menzies, R. Marshall

Match v Broughton Ladies 6th Nov 2022 from Kim Laird

The ladies travelled to the capital to face Broughton this weekend and were joined by some welcomed travelling support. It was great to have Charlotte Harris back in Biggar colours, after some time away at Watsonians, Emma Bell also made her debut on the wing playing the full 80mins. Another 2 girls joined us from Heriots to help with numbers, Rebecca Healy played the full 80 in the No. 2 jersey and Ellie Wilson in the 14 jersey, both had tremendous games and are welcome back anytime!

For the first 10mins the teams were evenly matched, play was messy and a few penalties for offside made for an action packed start. The first score came from Biggar, a slick backs move off a scrum saw Ellie Wilson make a break down the wing, supported by Kirstie Ritchie. Broughton gave away a penalty for offside and Biggar kicked to the corner. From the successful lineout Ellie Wilson crossed the line, kick unsuccessful.

Alison Russell left the pitch for a blood substitute replaced by No. 16 Rebecca Coffey. Biggar went through the phases once again with the forwards working well in their pods gaining yards and then giving the ball out to the backs. A few quick passes got the ball to Katie McPherson who made the break and scored under the posts, kick unsuccessful.

Kirstie Ritchie made a break off the back of the restart but was stopped in her tracks by 2 Broughton players resulting in injury, the ref rightly or wrongly saw nothing illegal with the tackle and Kirstie left the field. Alison Russell re-joined play. Broughton regained possession but not for long as Alison Orr made a tremendous steal and shipped the ball out wide resulting in Ellie wilson going over for the 2nd of the day, kick missed. #

Broughton put boot to ball taking advantage of the space in behind, a great cover tackle by Emma Bell delayed play but the scramble defence proved too much as the home team went over for their first try, kick unsuccessful. Going through the phases once again Broughton gaied good yards but a knock on brought possession back to Biggar and a successful backs move off a scrum saw Ellie Wilson go over for her 3rd of the game, kick successful. Plenty possession from both teams and some great rugby on display.

Biggar lead 22- 5 at the break.

Rosie Marshall took to the pitch replacing Christina Ertze. Not the start Biggar had hoped for in the 2nd half as Broughton gained possession and worked it wide to go over in the corner for their 2nd try of the game, kick missed.

Broughton gained possession once again and kicked to the corner, Geraldine Kimm cleared the line kicking back up field. Broughton threw in at the lineout but Alison Orr was up and stole giving possession back to Biggar. A tackle deemed to be illegal by the referee saw a Broughton player leave the field with a yellow. However, this did not stop them as they gained possession back and drove through the middle of the field going over for their 3rd try, kick missed.

Mistakes from both sides saw possession ping pong between the two. Broughton got the ball off the back of an offside penalty at the scrum, a miss match on the wing saw the home team over for their 4th try kick missed.

An extra player took to the field as a loose dog fancied its chances in the last 20mins!

Play resumed with Biggar in possession and a brilliant link up between Geraldine and Ellie saw Ellie cross the line for her 4th try conversion kicked successful. Up and running again, Ellie was shown a yellow, Broughton using the mismatch of numbers to their advantage scoring in the corner, kick missed.

Geraldine Kimm resumed her usual ways as she made a break scoring Biggar’s 7th of the game, kick unsuccessful.

A great contest between the teams with Biggar pulling away in the last 15.

Full time score 39- 25.

Player of the Match: Ellie Simpson, an incredible 4 tries on her first outing for Biggar.

Player chosen by the Opposition: Emelia Knights, after a great game at 12.

Match report Biggar 5 vs Stewartry 41

23/10/22 from Kim Laird

Biggar ladies faced Stewartry in the 7th round of Tennent’s National one. The top of the table clash took place at Hartree mill and despite the wind and rain drew in a large crowd of home supporters.

Biggar received the kick off and began to go through the phases, the ball was turned over and a line break from a speedy 13 saw the visitors go over for the first score of the match, complete with successful conversion. Biggar were once again in possession and making metres up the park, an infringement from the visitors saw Biggar awarded a penalty and kicked for touch. Unfortunately, the well drilled Stewartry pack caused disruption and regained possession from the line out. They went through the motions and once again the 13 broke the defensive line and dotted the ball down for their 2nd of the match, successful conversion. There was a great contest between the teams, Biggar’s hunt for the ball at the breakdown saw them gain a number of turnovers, they built the phases off the back of that gaining metres. This saw Kirsty Ritchie go between the sticks for Biggar’s first try of the match, unsuccessful conversion. Another steal at our lineout saw the visitors once again in possession, after a string of phases they created a mismatch on the wing scoring their 3rd try of the match in the corner, conversion unsuccessful.

Half time score 5-19

The second half got underway, the visitors made good use of the boot kicking for corner, scoring off the back of a driving maul, unsuccessful conversion. Despite the score line the sides were well matched in very wet conditions the visitors had to work hard for their points. Biggar put in a power of work in defence with some tremendous hits going in from captain Emelia Knights and Vice Alison Orr. However, a slick attacking move saw Stewartry go over for their 5th in the corner, conversion missed. A few injuries from the visitors halted play a number of times, we wish them all a speedy recovery. Up and running once again Biggar were caught offside close to their line, Stewartry took advantage going over for another try, this time compete with successful kick. Once again the visitors were in possession building the phases a mere 10m out from the line, some tremendous defence from the Biggar side held the visitors off for a while but the relentless attack eventually reaped rewards as they went over in the corner once again, kick unsuccessful. Biggar was back in possession showing great structure and attack as Kaylee Fraser made a strong carry in the No. 2 jersey. Supported by second row Alison Russell the pair made tremendous metres up the park. The visitors gave away a number of penalties allowing the Biggar side to build the phases, however a mistake saw the Referee blow the whistle for full time. Biggar showed tremendous determination and left everything on the pitch, credit to Stewartry who showed their experience in this league with some great rugby on display.

Full time score 5- 41

Player of the match- No.10 Farah Conn

Player of the match chosen by the opposition – No.15 Geraldine Kimm

Match report- 16th October

Ayr 34 Biggar 17 from Kim Laird

A tough one this weekend for our ladies’ team as they travelled with 17, to a very muddy Millbrae and came up against a very physical Ayr team suffering their first league defeat in 12 games.

Ayr Kicked off and started very strong, Biggar struggled to settle giving away 2 penalties in the first 5 minutes. This resulted in the home side kicking for the corner and driving over from the lineout, conversion missed. Ayr forwards continued their strong work going over for another at the 15-minute mark, successful conversion. The home side had momentum scoring from a line break, successful conversion. A blow for Biggar as Kirsty Ritchie left the field with an elbow injury replaced by Christina Ertze. A fantastic line break from hooker Alyson Henderson and tremendous support saw vice-captain Alison Orr go over the white wash for Biggar’s first try of the game successfully converted by Geraldine Kimm. The home side regained control and scored from a penalty scrum for the final points of the half, conversion missed.

Half time score 27-7.

Kirsty Ritchie returns to the field for the 2nd half. Biggar started with a bang, Geraldine Kimm did what she does best crossing the whitewash after a 15-metre line break, unsuccessful conversion. The home side responded scoring their 6th of the day, conversion successful. The condition of the pitch worsened but this did not dampen spirts as Kirsty Ritchie added another 5 to Biggar’s total, conversion missed. A huge blow for Biggar as Alyson Henderson was stopped by 2 Ayr players just short, suffering a serious ankle injury in the process.

Final score 34- 17

A fantastic effort from the Biggar ladies against a hugely physical Ayr side and some questionable decisions from the official’s, they stuck in till the very end and showed off some tremendous rugby throughout. Special mention to the 2 debutants Mhairi Duncan and Cerys Forrest playing the full 80 on their first senior outing. Robyn Struthers was awarded player of the match by the Biggar management after a fantastic shift in the Number 1 jersey. The opposition awarded player of the match to Alyson Henderson. We wish her all the best and a speedy recovery.

Next up the ladies face Stewartry at Home Sunday 23rd October 2pm KO, in a top of the table clash.

Match Report: 4th September 2022

Biggar Ladies 24 Ayr 12

On Sunday, Biggar Ladies hosted Ayr in their opening National 1 fixture.

Ayr was the side Biggar met, and defeated, in the Plate Final back in May at Murrayfield and this latest encounter was thought to be a real toughie for the Biggar girls as they took their first steps into the National League set up.

And so it proved, Biggar having to be at their best as Ayr did their utmost to spoil the party.

Alison Orr openEd the scoring after some 5 minutes, Katie McPherson adding the conversion but there was no further scoring until midway through the first half when a very typical lung-bursting run from Gerry Kimm saw the fullback outstrip the Ayr defence from some 50 metres to score under the posts. McPherson added the conversion for 14-7.

Without the confidence to kick to touch and with some lineout issues Biggar opted for the tap and run at every penalty and that they won through says so much for their overall fitness although that they put Ayr under pressure to tackle – again and again – was doubtless a factor in Biggar’s eventual success.

On virtually the stroke of half time Megan McCarry bundled over for a great try, this a very timely score as it gave Biggar a 19-7 lead.

The second half was largely a repeat of the first, Biggar having the better of play although they struggled to add much to their tally. There were some really long passages of play as both teams made errors and as advantage was played to allow play to continue. Both teams deserve great credit for their contribution to what was a highly entertaining match. While there were errors there was some really good handling under pressure and some huge hits. More than one player bore the bumps and bruises of this encounter.

A second McCarry try put Biggar further ahead at 24-7 and this also meant Biggar gained a valuable bonus point. This score probably did as much to win the game, Ayr unable to get much other than 2nd score which came late in the half.

Both sides lost players to yellow cards for infringements but this failed to dampen the spirits or efforts of their team mates. All-in-all a great contest and one which both will be able to build on in the next weeks.


Match Report: 15th May

National Plate final

Biggar 36 Ayr 22

The curtain fell on the Ladies season with an emphatic win in the National Plate Final, played at Murrayfield.

On a fantastic spring afternoon and in front of a huge Biggar support, Biggar Ladies were never behind in the game and in out-scoring their opponents by 6 tries to 3 served note of their intention next season when, having been promoted to National 1, they will face Ayr on league rather than Cup duty.

A Cup final is a very different animal from a league match and there is little doubt that next season will see a step up in the quality and strength of their opposition but that can wait – the celebrations lasted until the wee small hours, and deservedly so!

Fielding the strongest squad they could muster and one which included both Emma Orr and Kirsty Ritchie who returned to Biggar colours after their international duties, Biggar pressurised the Ayr squad in just about every area, save perhaps the scrum where the Ayr 8 had a slight advantage. Ayr were unable to capitalise on this however as Biggar held onto possession despite being on the retreat and, on those odd occasions when Biggar struggled to retain possession, their defence was more than up to the task and frequently knocked Ayr back, Emelia Knights first thundering hit a perfect example.

Biggar were forced into an early change when winger Emily Inglis was injured making a tackle, her replacement being Farah Conn. This was the 18 year olds first senior appearance, but not her first on the big pitch, Farah one of at least 5 of the Biggar squad who had previously played in age group Cup finals on the same pitch.

Minutes later, and following a trademark pass and loop by Emma Orr, Gerry Kimm was set free for the Ayr line. Although Emma Orr was unable to add the conversion she was on target when, after 15 minutes, Kimm notched her second. This try emanated from a probing kick by stand off Orr, Ayr’s replacement winger who had only just taken the field beaten by a wicked bounce which saw the ball drop into Kimm’s hands when she was virtually over the line.

Kimm claimed her hat-trick within the first quarter of the game. A long pass from Emma Orr set Kimm free but having received the ball just in her own half, this was a long range effort which saw the fullback out-strip the Ayr defence to score under the posts. Orr’s conversion took Biggar into a 19-0 lead.

Emma Orr’s elder sister Alison was able to take most of her own ball at the lineout while her ability to keep her momentum going even when tackled ensured her side go-forward ball.

Ayr are a National 1 side for a reason of course and in patches they did make ground, Biggar forced into defensive duties after some strong attacking play. Their handling was not as secure as Biggar’s however and promising moves ended with knock-ons and dropped passes. On the half hour mark however Ayr got reward for their efforts, a series of pick and goes paying dividends and seeing Erin McSorley cross for a try. The ever alert Emma Orr managed to get a hand to the attempted conversion and so Ayr had to be content with the 5 points.

Biggar ended the half with a 4th score, this a cracker! Biggar retained possession for a number of phases with Alyson Henderson, Alison Orr and Anna Forsyth among others making good ground. The ball was moved left and then right with neat interpassing creating space for Abi Baillie to free Emelia Knights for a run to the line. Emma Orr added the conversion for 26-5, referee Allana McLean bringing proceedings to a close.

The second half saw Biggar open strongly with Emma Orr taking advantage by taking a quick tap penalty to drive over from close range. A similar award to Ayr minutes later ended with a handling error. Some 6 minutes later Kirsty Ritchie was the on the end of a long looping pass from her stand off Emma Orr, the U18 internationalist making the line with ease. The position for this try was made by Farah Conn with a great touchline run before some dynamic drives by Emelia Knights, Megan McCarry, Laura Watson and Emma Orr pushed Ayr back, their defence standing firm initially but eventually out-numbered.

Biggar replaced Emma Orr with Vicky Haddow, Ayr replied with a good number of runs but again errors in passing were their downfall, although some of their off-loading was excellent. Their effrots were rewarded when winger Alice Wilson crossed for the second Ayr try. Biggar 36 Ayr 10.

As the game entered its last quarter injuries mounted as players began to tire, this due in no small part to the unaccustomed sunshine and the occasion itself. A penalty to Ayr following a high tackle saw Ayr make more ground this seeing centre Hannah Young score, her skipper Catherine Sheddon providing the one-handed off-load. Sheddon added the conversion.

Laura Watson was injured in this movement and was replaced, Rebecca Coffey returning to the fray. Cristina Ertze and Bria Boyd replaced Verrity Kennit and Farah Conn. Bria Boyd’s appearance was significant in that 25 years ago her father Denis Lavery played for Biggar when they met Selkirk in the Bowl final. She marked her time with an excellent touchline run into the Ayr 22.

Ayr definitely finished the game strongly as they seemed to take confidence in their ability to make ground via route one. The match ended with an Ayr try, scored in the corner by Robyn Gibson.

McLean’s whistle was greeted with huge cheers from the massed ranks of Biggar’s support.

There were plus points for everyone involved; whether through hard yards by the pack, direct running and support play by the likes of Megan Mcivor, Jennifer Bell, Robyn Struthers and Alison Russell, distribution and accuracy of pass from Rebecca Clarke, speed to the breakdown from Abi Baillie, Alison Orr or the pace and skill of Emma Orr, Gerry Kimm and Emelia Knights.

Gerry Kimm was awarded Player of the Match, a just reward but one which several others could have claimed.


Geraldine Kimm, Anna Forsyth, Emelia Knights, Abbie Baillie(c), Emily Inglis, Emma Orr, Rebecca Clarke, Verity Kennet, Alison Orr, Rebecca Coffey, Alison Russell, Laura Watson, Megan Maciver, Alyson Henderson, Robyn Struthers. Reps: Cristina Ertze, Megan McCarry, Jennifer Bell, Kirsty Ritchie, Bria Boyd, Victoria Haddow, Farah ConnMany congratulations to the coaching and management team of John Bogle, Stewart Moffat, Nathan Knights and Kim Laird aided by physio Jen Baillie. Congrats too to the ball boys and members of the guard of honour and finally to the massive turnout of Biggar supporters who cheered as is their custom from start to finish.

Match report 24th April 2022

Biggar Ladies 51 Dundee Valkryies 0

National Plate semi final

Biggar Ladies took this semi final game by the scruff of the neck and with this comprehensive win over Dundee made a date at the Dam Stadium, Murrayfield for the 14th May. They will meet Ayr in the final of the National plate competition.

Dundee were Biggar’s opponents in the National league promotion decider in March and proved tough competitors on their home ground but Biggar were the dominant force on Sunday, rarely allowing their visitors any time on the ball to develop any attacking phases. Biggar’s defence, exemplified by the whole squad meant that time and again, the Dundee runners were brought to the ground or thumped back in the tackle.

Credit to the Taysiders who never gave up despite the fact that Biggar’s early lead gave ample indication that this would be a long day for them and in similar fashion to the previous day for Highland, a long return journey home.

Gerry Kimm scored first after 6 minutes, notching a well-deserved first half hat-trick with a conversion thrown in for good measure while Megan McIver and Anna Forsyth also scored before the break.

In the second half Kimm scored her 4th try (and 2 conversions) shortly followed by a second for Forsyth and others for Alison Orr and Laura Watson.

It would be difficult to pick a ‘best’ try as each had special qualities involving outright lightening speed, dogged determination, great feet and/or skill. Great to watch.

Finals day on the 14th promises to be an exciting day with several of the Biggar squad making a return to Murrayfield (albeit perhaps not to the main pitch) having played in age group finals in recent years.

Match report 12th March 2022

Dundee Valkyries 15 Biggar 22

Of all the squads to play this weekend it is the Ladies who deserve most credit and top billing after they travelled to take on and eventually overcome a powerful Dundee Valkyries side with the winners prize being promotion to the National league.

The Valkyries have been in existence for a shorter period of time than Biggar but with huge numbers attending training – they can now field two XV’s, something  very few other clubs can match – their player base is large. Given their meteoric rise through the Midlands region league and the extensive programme notes illustrating the importance attached to the Dundee Ladies section, and this game in particular, it is more than clear that promotion was as important to them (as was expected) as it was to Biggar. The Valkyries will be a force to be reckoned with in the future and it would be a brave person who would bet against their return to the same play off fixture next season.

Shetland were worthy opponents in the first play off game last week, (Dundee were accorded a ‘bye’ after their opponents Kelso withdrew from the National league) and with the Dundee side having, like Biggar, gone through the season unbeaten the scene was set for a cracking match. That is turned out to be the toughest match Biggar have had this season is in no doubt.

Deprived of several key players due to international commitments, unavailability and injury the Biggar side looked to travel with the bare XV but a concerted effort and limitless powers of persuasion meant that 20 players were involved in the end. Well done to those who answered the call!

Played on the Morgan FP pitch, in front of a large crowd (very typically Biggar enjoyed the support of another fantastic number of travelling fans), the game was a tense, exciting contest which was at times frantic, at times controlled but always committed.

The first score was claimed by Valkyries but Biggar struck back with a very typical blistering run by Gerry Kimm. Better still was that she scored under the posts which gave stand-in kicker Emily Inglis a relatively straight forward kick which she converted for 7-5.

Dundee had a powerful pack and were particularly sharp over the ball which helped them engineer frequent turnovers, but Biggar’s defence held strong with some huge hits from across the squad and exemplified by skipper Abbie Baillie, Alison Orr, Emelia Knights and Gerry Kimm. Biggar’s efforts however were thwarted on many occasions by some strange decisions which frustrated the crowd and threatened to spoil the match. Far too often Biggar found themselves penalised for something and with Dundee opting to tap and go, Biggar further incurred the wrath of the referee with advantage after advantage giving Dundee good field position. The continued pressure ensured Dundee maintained a foothold in the Biggar half and then 22 where they found space on the wing to cross for a second try to regain the lead at 10-7.

Further determined defence from Biggar then led to a turnover from a loose Dundee pass and this gave full back Anna Forsyth an opportunity to show her pace and this she did to good effect, running around the Dundee defence from just inside her own half. The kick was too far out for the conversion to be successful but at 12-10 Biggar held an important lead at half time.

Turning round to play against the breeze but with the aid of a gentle slope Biggar continued to run hard at the Dundee defence, forcing them to tackle and this undoubtedly had a major effect on the home side who began to struggle. Biggar’s offensive defensive pressure paid off and it was Kimm who once again managed to score a vital third try for 17-10. There was no way that this was going to be enough to close out the match as Dundee were not going to go down without a fight.

A series of odd decisions created an attacking position for Dundee who pushed deep into the Biggar half where the tactic of quickly taken penalty awards proved effective in turning the Biggar defence. The Biggar dam was eventually breached again and a Dundee try offered their kicker a chance for a conversion to tie the scores. What seemed worse was that no one seemed to know how the match would have been decided were the scores level at the end of the match – and no one wanted extra time! In the end this was not to be as the ball fell short but at 17-15 and with some 4 minutes remaining the supporters were set for a nervy finish as the match remained very much in the balance

In fact if anything the Dundee score seemed to galvinise and energise the Biggar squad and their response was both swift and decisive. An attacking position was created and with Kimm (who was at this point sporting a natty pair of unmatched boots following a major boot malfunction earlier in the game) in possession the centre ran with huge grit and determination, bursting through and round the Dundee defence for her hat-trick and a 22-15 score line, Inglis just short with the conversion attempt.

There was still time remaining for the restart and while the game was now a 2-score contest meaning Biggar were essentially ‘safe’, it’s never over until the final whistle. It was appropriate that having won ball from the restart and having played a couple of phases it fell to Kimm to thump the ball out of play to signal the end of the contest – and HUGE celebrations from the Biggar players and supporters.


Anna Forsyth, Vicky Haddow, Geraldine Kimm, Emily Inglis, Niamh Stewart, Emelia Knights, Abbie Baillie, Megan Mciver, Robyn Struthers, Megan McCarry, Alison Russell, Laura Watson, Rebecca Coffey, Alison Orr, Jennifer Bell. Reps: Cristina Ertze, Rebecca Clarke, Lauren McDonald, Ruth Elliot, Rachel Ferguson

A MASSIVE thank you to all those who have supported the team and who travelled north to witness the play-off final. It really does make a difference when the away support matches the home support!

All Nigel’s photos can be viewed in the gallery pull down and those and others taken by Ian Glennie are on the club Facebook page. Well worth a look!

The Ladies now have a couple of weeks off until they begin the National Plate competition with matches against Livingston (away, 27th March), Wigtonshire (away 3rd April) and Orkney (home 16th April).

Next season in the National League, Biggar will face a new set of opponents featuring Stewartry, West of Scotland, Howe of Fife, Ayr, Annan and Broughton with the bottom team from the Premiership likely to be included also as this season’s National 1 Champions Garioch should move up.Exciting times!

If you are interested in taking the game up, there is no restriction on age and/or experience – you will be made more than welcome!

Match Report 6th March

Biggar 51 Shetland 0

Pride of place goes to the Ladies who secured victory against far travelled Shetland Ladies and therefore can now take the next step on their way to promotion to the National League. They still have a match against Dundee Valkyries to play and again this will be a tough match against a side so far unbeaten in their league. This match is scheduled for next Sunday (KO 2pm).

The Shetland Ladies had a monster round trip of some 760 miles tcomplete for Saturday’s match at Hartree Mill but fortunately the weather was fine and had no effect on their travel arrangements.

Played in front of a great support Biggar dominated the exchanges and had virtually secured the game by half time although the visitors never gave up and proved very worthy opponents.

Biggar’s points came from tries by captain Abbie Baillie (2), Megan McCarry (2), Gerry Kimm (2), Alison Orr, and Emma Orr who also kicked 3 conversions.


Geraldine Kimm, Vicky Haddow, Emily Inglis, Emelia Knights, Anna Forsyth, Emma Orr, Abbie Baillie, Robyn Struthers, Alyson Henderson, Megan McCarry, Alison Russell, Laura Watson, Rebecca Coffey, Alison Orr, Jennifer Bell. Reps: Verity Kennet, Megan Maciver, Cristone Ertze, Jenny Leech, Rebecca Clarke.

A bonus on Saturday was the appearance of John Gillies of the SRU who presented skipper Abbie Baillie with the West Region Trophy which the Ladies won back in December. This was a great addition to the day’s success.

The focus is now on Sundays match at Dundee.

Match Report 19th Sept 2021

Biggar Ladies 92 Hamilton 0

Pride of place this weekend, and this despite a good win for the mens 1st XV (report below), must go to the Ladies XV which opened their league account with a landslide win over Hamilton.

In recent years games between these two clubs have been fairly tight, tetchy affairs but this latest contest was in the realms of being a mis-match, the Biggar squad rarely in any danger of conceding a try and whenever under pressure offering up some very good determined defence to keep their line intact. It was really encouraging to see how so many of the squad are growing in confidence.

Individual scorers have yet to be confirmed but Biggar ran out winners by 92-0 which is bound to send shockwaves through the West division.

The trick will be to steer clear of injury as the squad is not a big one. There are a few past players however who, on the back of this display and due to the positive reports coming from training, may be persuaded to return to Biggar ranks.

Emma Orr, Gerry Kimm and Jenny Bell among others led from the front with some stand out performances but this was a team performance from the squad and one which was very much enjoyed by the very enthusiastic touchline support. Such was the occasion that the club offered a pre-match meal which proved very popular.

This all made for a very busy day for Carolyn and Jan and their catering team: around 80 minis in the morning, 60 plus Youth players at lunchtime, a pre-match lunch and then post match food for the Ladies teams in the afternoon. And all this after a Saturday which featured a pre-match meal for over 50 and then post match food for the Biggar and Watsons boys! Never a dull moment!

Well done girls and to the coaching duo of John Bogle and Stewart Moffat. Training is now on both Tuesdays and Thursdays. All interested will be made very welcome regardless of experience.

Tennents National Bowl

Pool Stage

Biggar 60 Livingston 5

Biggar ladies marked international Women’s day with a fantastic 60-5 victory over Livingston in the opening round of the National Bowl. The squad also had two debutants as Emelia Knights and Jenny Leech tasted senior rugby for the first time. Both debutants where on the scoresheet alongside Geraldine Kimm and Abbie Baillie as a squad marched to a bonus point victory.  The squad will now need to wait and see the results of the pools remaining fixtures to determines if they will progress to the National Bowls semi finals.

Wigtownshire 28 Biggar 0

Insufficient players away

Biggar 28 Liberton 0

Insufficient players away

Tennent’s West Women’s League Results

Round 7 – Hamilton 10 Biggar Ladies 7

Round 6 – Biggar Ladies Forfeit

Round 5 – Biggar Ladies 19 West of Scotland 31

Round 4 -Biggar Ladies 54 v Greenock 31

Round 3 – Biggar Ladies 43 v Wigtownshire 19

Round 2 -Biggar Ladies 78 v Hamilton 36